Coronavirus (COVID-19) SEND guidance and support
We have created this page to share resources and information that may be useful to families and those working with children and young people who have Special Educational Needs and Disabilities during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
This information has been updated on 20/7/2021
We are working with partners across Merton and London to ensure that children with SEND in Merton are supported during the coronavirus outbreak. We will add any relevant updates from specific services as they become available.
For information for all Merton residents regarding the coronavirus outbreak, please visit Merton Council’s coronavirus page.
- UK Government Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance on the national lockdown
- UK Government Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance on the definition of vulnerable children and young people who may continue attending education and childcare during the lockdown. Your child's school / provider will contact you about attendance.
Charities and other sources of information and support
- Carers UK: Guidance for carers around coronavirus
- Mencap: Easy read guide and other useful information.
- Coronavirus explained using images and Makaton
- National Autistic Society: guidance and helpline for parents, young people and staff
- Podcast for parents of children with Autism, from The Association for Child and Adolescent Mental Health (ACAMH) on anxiety related to Covid-19
- Together for short lives: coronavirus questions and answers for families with children with complex needs.
- Well child – Information and resources for families
- Tiny Happy People - SEND resources from the BBC for young children and their families, with a focus on speech and language difficulties. Case studies with videos to watch and a toolkit of ideas to help you in lockdown.
- Local support and availability of mental wellbeing services for young people during the coronavirus outbreak
- BBC News - Your Mental Health during the coronavirus: advice to support you and your family’s mental health and wellbeing
- Young Minds: Talking to your child about coronavirus and 10 tips from their Parents Helpline to support family wellbeing
- Childmind – coping during Covid-19 Resources for parents.
- Mind: Support around coronavirus for people with mental health difficulties
- Covibook: an interactive resource to support and reassure children aged 7 and under, designed to help children explain and draw the emotions that they might be experiencing during the pandemic
- Place2Be: Guides to helping parents answer questions from their children and to support family wellbeing
- Merton Information for Families Facebook page: daily posts giving you low cost / no cost ideas to keep you and your children occupied when at home.
- The Council for Disabled Children Coronavirus question mailboxes: The Council for Disabled Children (CDC), at the Minister’s request, has launched two new email inboxes aimed to answer questions, collate resources and share information on Coronavirus and the impact on children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).