Access to Work support

In-work support, including for an Apprenticeship, Traineeship, or Supported Internship from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP)

Who can get Access to Work support?

Any young person aged over 16 who is on or about to start the work part of a supported internship, traineeship or apprenticeship or is in or about to begin a job and who has a disability or health condition.

The support applied for must be for adaptations that are not covered by the reasonable adjustments for workers with disabilities or health conditions which an employer is legally obliged to provide.

The support is based on your needs and this may include a grant to help cover the costs of practical support in the workplace.

What can be funded by an Access to Work grant?

An Access to Work grant covers the additional support a young person may need at work including:

  • Job coaches or support workers (in the work place / work placement or a communicator at a job interview)*
  • Specialist equipment for days that a young person is at the employer's premises
  • Extra fares to work if the young person is unable to use public transport due to their disability or health condition
  • Disability awareness training for colleagues
  • Support services e.g. for a mental health condition

Young people and employers do not have to pay any money back.

* a job coach is a person who helps someone to do a specific job. This can include, for example, helping the person to cope emotionally or physically, or by breaking down the elements of the job into smaller, more manageable steps.


Young people might not qualify for Access to Work if they already receive certain benefits such as Incapacity Benefit, Employment and Support Allowance, Severe Disablement Allowance, Income Support and/or National Insurance Credits.

How much grant will I get?

You’ll be offered support based on your needs. This may include a grant to help cover the costs of practical support in the workplace, or getting to and from work.

You or your employer will buy the items or services you need. Access to Work will pay the money back, up to the amount of the grant you’ve been offered and with any contributions (such as employer or NHS contributions) deducted.

How to apply?

For young people starting a work experience placement of a supported internship or traineeship there is a referral form that can be downloaded and completed from the Preparing for Adulthood website at:

You can apply online at or by phone on 0800 121 7479. A young person can apply directly or providers can apply on their behalf such as a supported employment provider or an education provider.

Once you’ve applied, an Access to Work adviser will contact you to discuss what help you could get. An adviser may also contact your employer to discuss how Access to Work can support you. They will not contact your employer until they’ve agreed this with you first. An assessor may visit your workplace to assess your needs.

You may get an offer of support, which could include a grant. If it does, you’ll be told how much you’ll get and for how long.


Save to shortlist

Page last reviewed: 27/07/2020

Back to top