Skip to main content

Support for SEN or Disabled Students in Higher Education

Taking a degree, HND, HNC, PGCE or Diploma of Higher Education or any qualification at RQF level 4 or above

Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCPs) will cease once a student begins studying at RQF (Regulated Qualifications Framework) level 4 or above. Similarly, students without an EHCP but with special educational needs will not receive funding for additional learning support. Instead, you will be able to apply for Disabled Students Allowances (DSA). You should contact the learning support unit at your place of study for detailed information about the application process and for help to define your additional support needs.

Disabled Students Allowances

DSA are for extra expenses students incur whilst attending a higher education course and which are a direct result of their disability or SEN. DSA are not means tested and are provided to help students benefit fully from their course.

DSA can be provided for specialist equipment (like computer software), non-medical helpers, (like a note-taker or reader), extra travel because of disability, and other things related to your studies (like photocopying).

Full information about eligibility and how to apply can be found on the website:

For students who are disabled as defined by the Equalities Act 2010, institutions must provide reasonable adjustments to prevent students from being at a disadvantage due to their disability. This obligation applies whether or not a student receives DSA.

Back to top