Skip to main content

Eating Disorders

  • Our appetites may change at different times in our life.
  • Some people eat a lot or eat anything, others are more particular.
  • Most of us have tried different diets at some time in our lives, whether to slim a little, put on some weight, or to improve our health.

None of the above is a cause for concern. However, sometimes our relationship with food can interfere with our normal way of life. It can change how we act around food, our attitude to food, and how honest we are with ourselves and others about what we eat and when we eat. This may be a sign of an eating disorder.

How can I tell if I have an eating disorder?

It might be a good idea to do get some help and advice if

  • it feels like your relationship with food is taking over your life and changing your behaviour,
  • your eating habits and attitude towards food prevent you from carrying out your daily activities,

There’s lots of help and support available if you think you have an eating disorder.

How can I find out more?

Understanding a bit more about eating disorders may help you identify if you have one and what to do about it.  You may find the Young Minds links useful.

ChildLine provides lots of useful information about eating disorders.

For readable and well-researched information on anorexia and bulimia eating disorders, visit the Royal College of Physicians website.

Watch a short YouTube video and hear about other young people sharing their experiences.

Talk to someone you know and trust

It's a good idea to speak to someone you know and trust about your relationship with food. This could be a friend, family member, teacher or mentor-person. It feels good to off-load and the other person may offer you good advice or help you find the right support.

If you feel it difficult to talk to someone, that it's too hard to explain, or that they won't understand or feel the same, the Young Minds website has some great tips to help you.



Get professional support

If your relationship with food becomes a big issue for you and you think you may have an eating disorder, you may need professional help.  Talk to someone at school or to your GP about making a referral to Merton's Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS).

Back to top