Preparation for Independence Programme for Care Experienced Young People
Care Experienced Young People can access Merton Council's Preparation for Independence Workshops, which cover topics including housing, finance and budgeting, education, employment and training, health and emotional wellbeing, and food preparation and cooking. Speak to your Personal Adviser if you are interested in taking part.
- We will run workshops to work toward your Passport to my Home, in addition to the support you receive from your foster carer or key worker
- We will give you a grant and furnishing starter pack when you move into your own home to help you settle in
- We will help you budget your money if you go into semi-independent housing or have a private tenancy
- We will work with adult social services to ensure a smooth transition if you have a disability or mental health difficulties
- We will give you the final amount from your Child Trust Fund on or near your 18th birthday
Remember, steps to prepare for leaving care should be in your Care and Pathway Plans and preparation for independence should start early - before you become an adult.