SMILE - Sutton Mentoring and Independent Leisure Experiences
Positive activities and opportunities for young people with disabilities aged 12-18 years during holidays, term time evenings and weekends. Referrals for children and young people living in Merton are accepted.
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- Stuart Tyler or Catherine Austin
- Contact Position
- Leisure Development Coordinators
- 01403 257699
- firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Springboard project website
This service is part of Merton's Short Breaks offer.
- Membership donation for Holiday activities suggested at £10 per day. Term-time, variable donations.
- Age Ranges
- Referral required
- Referral Details
Self-referral accepted via the contact details given
For young people, the chance
- To enjoy some new and exciting opportunities
- To increase social and life skills
- To feel supported in sustaining and developing skills.
- More access to community sports, leisure, social and cultural facilities.
For their parents, the chance
- To have a break from caring responsibilities.
- To feel supported and consulted in their youngster’s future.
- Gain support in enabling their disabled youngster to practice greater independence, in preparation for the transition into adult life.
SMILE Membership Groups meet during term time in the evening and at weekends. During school holidays, there are more daytime activities arranged.
Peer Mentoring with the help of local teenage volunteers.
Life and Social Skills are promoted, such as ordering their own food, using money or having the confidence and opportunity to use public transport.
Activities enjoyed have included bowling, going to the cinema, a tour of Wembley Stadium, the BBC studios, London Eye and The Harry Potter Studios as well as some more informal social events.
Risk Assessments All activities are risk assessed by our Leisure Development Co-ordinators and any special arrangements are made so we can be as inclusive as possible with all our activities and ensure the highest combination of enjoyment and safety.
Volunteers come from from local schools and colleges with the help of Sutton Volunteer Bureau. They are aged 14+ and undergo safeguarding checks. We provide training for all volunteers as their help and enthusiasm is vital in supporting the range of activities.