Skip to main content

Travel and transport - the law

The law relating to travel and transport can differ for people under 21. The Citizens Advice website provides lots of information about your rights and responsibilities in this area, including:

You can ride an electrically-assisted pedal cycle from the age of 14, a moped from the age of 16 and a motorbike, car or certain classes of van and lorry from the age of 17.

You are allowed to fly a glider from the age of 16. You can hold a private air pilot’s licence from the age of 17 and a commercial air pilot’s licence from the age of 18

Everyone who is travelling outside the United Kingdom must have their own passport. You must have the consent of a parent to have a passport if you are under 18, unless you are married or a member of the armed forces.



Who to contact

Citizens Advice website
Back to top