Skip to main content

Relationship support for Care Experienced Young People

Merton Council wants to help you make the most of your relationships and become an active citizen. Your personal adviser will help you with:

  • Maintaining or regaining contact with people special to you or who cared for you in the past, like former foster carers. Travel costs to visit family and previous carers will be considered.
  • Continuing contact with the Child in Care Health Team.
  • Owning a phone. One low-cost phone (£20) will be provided.
  • Information on groups, clubs and schemes that will help you make the most of your talents and interests.
  • Accessing volunteering activities such as via Merton Connected - Volunteering
  • Gaining a place on the National Citizen Service (for young people aged 16 and 17 years old).
  • Information on joining the Merton ‘Our Voice’ Children in Care Council as a Care Experienced Young Person to share your views and stay in touch with other Care Experienced Young People. Email to get involved.

Living Outside Merton

If you live in a different local authority area – not Merton  – we aim to ensure that you are not at a disadvantage and that the service you receive is the same as you would if you remained in Merton. Merton will work together with the local authority you decide to live in to ensure that you receive high quality services.

If you decide to live outside Merton, you should be provided with advice on how to access Care Experienced Young People’s Services if you need help or support. This advice should be provided to you in writing. You should speak to your Personal Advisor if you need support with this.

You can also stay in touch with other Care Experienced Young People through the ‘Our Voice’ Children in Care Council. Email to get involved.

Back to top