Skip to main content

Education, training and employment for Care Experienced Young People

Merton Council will provide Care Experienced Young People access to high quality information, advice and guidance to help with education, training or employment.

There are a number of education, employment and training opportunities available to you, which your Personal Adviser and Merton’s Virtual School  can support you with. New opportunities come up all the time, so do speak to your Personal Adviser about this. The Virtual School can help with supporting your learning, extra tuition and equipment, such as laptops or WiFi. If you are aged 16 to 18, the Virtual School will also help you with your Personal Education Plan (PEP).

Financial Support

Care Experienced Young People may be eligible for the following financial support:

  • If you are 16 or 17, the Job Seeker’s Allowance (JSA) equivalent of £57.96 per week up to the age of 18.
  • A bursary through sixth form or college for ages 16-19
    • If in college-based course 12+ hours per week, we will provide (in term time): £5 per week for a WiFi bundle if you have no internet, up to £250 per year on books/educational equipment, up to £15 per week support with personal needs like health/hair care, variable support for travel to college, and a laptop or PC.
    • If in education/training less than 12 hours per week, we will provide: £3 per hour of teaching time, an incentive of up to £21 per week.
  • £2,250 contribution for university students: £750 summer term and £500 remaining terms. Provided in instalments throughout the degree course.
  • Up to £250 per year on equipment for education, training or employment, to be requested via your Personal Adviser.
  • Up to £150 per year on clothing, such as for interviews or graduation, to be requested via your Personal Adviser.
  • Support to attend educational trips or activities, to be requested via your Personal Adviser.
  • A local bus pass to use when looking for work.

The Law and work
If you are 16 to 17 years old, you still need to be in education or training and there are some places you cannot work until you turn 18. Check out Rules on working hours for young workers: Young workers, apprentices and work experience - Acas and

In this section, you will find information about Merton's sixth forms, Merton College, information about higher education and applying to university, careers advice and more. You can search by keyword or View All Services.

Back to top