Skip to main content

Housing for Care Leavers

As part of your preparation for adult life, you will be supported by your Personal Advisor and or the leaving care housing officer to complete a Social Housing Application and / or to secure private rented accommodation in line with your wishes and your Pathway Plan. We will offer you support to make a housing benefit claim, universal credit claim or to access Local Housing Allowance if in private rented accommodation.

It is important to note that Young People under 35 are normally only entitled to rent payments equivalent to the cost of a room in a shared house. Care Leavers between 18 and 21 can get the rate for 1-bedroom accommodation instead, but once you turn 22 you can only get the shared accommodation amount. Bear this in mind if you are moving into a new home and think that you will continue to claim benefits after 22

  • We will make sure you have appropriate furniture and a home starter pack to help settle you in
  • We will make sure we plan carefully when you move to your new home to ensure it is the right time for you
  • We will make sure you have support from your Personal Advisor and the leaving care housing manager to help you feel secure and supported during your move

 You may be eligible for financial support with accommodation:

  • Up to £2,000.00 setting up home grant
  • In private rentals, first deposit and first month rent advance by our access to resource team
  • Starter pack available containing essential items – to be requested with your PA
  • Consideration to support with storage while at University or out of long term stable accommodation – speak to your PA about availability.
  • To take some of the financial pressures off you, if you are a Care Leaver up to the ages of 25, we will pay your Council Tax bill if you live in Merton. You will need to bring your council tax bill to your PA.

You can find out more about securing housing on the Merton Website

Back to top